Monday, March 5, 2012

Teaching the Value of Prayer

Prayer on Monday nights at COLC is not just for adults. We have been taking our kids, Tristen and ShayLee, and teaching them to pray. Tristen has so much faith, we have told him to pray for anything he wants and he goes in and asks God for everything from giant playgrounds to tour buses and we think it is awesome.


There's no better feeling on Earth than knowing your child has a heart for God. But let's be real...teaching your 5 year old and 2 year old to be quiet and reverent during prayer time for a full hour is not easy!!! You've probably noticed us praying with our kids for the first few minutes of prayer and then taking turns watching them. We have also connected with a few other parents and made a rotation to help with each other's kids so everyone can take turns praying!


There are always options to get done what we value in our lives. We encourage you to do the same!

Youth Pastors Tre' and Shawnel

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

3 comments:

  1. What you are doing with Tristen and ShayLee is AWSOME AND INSPIRING!!! You are giving them things that no one will EVER be able to take from them. How blessed your children are! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I avoided going to prayer meeting for a long time because I didn't think it was feasible with my 3 year old Chloe. But Pastor Yolanda talked one day about how she used to bring her THREE young children and set them beside her on the pew for all night prayer meetings and the Lord convicted me. I started bringing Chloe. I explained to her why we were going and what prayer meeting was about and encouraged her to pray and talk to God too and I put her on the pew right next to me. She kneels down some and other times I notice her sitting up and looking around and watching everyone else praying and walking around as they pray and/or praise God. Either way, I know that I'm giving her a legacy the way my mother did me and the way Pastor Yolanda did her children. At the end, she always joins our circle and holds hands and prays with us too. She may not understand everything and she may play some of the time on the pew next to me, but as long as she's quiet, I let her and I don't let it keep me from coming because I know that she's soaking in MUCH of what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children don't automatically know how to act during prayer or worship. It is something that has to be taught. I'm so happy that so many of our young parents are actively teaching their kids and not just expecting them to get it through osmosis :) I hope the older folks will encourage our young parents who are striving to raise godly children.

    ReplyDelete